Vell, Zaphod’s just zis guy, you know?
The Zaphod PCB is the brains (plural) of the Zaphod keyboard.
- Onboard wireless controller, supporting USB and wireless (BLE 5) connectivity
- Fully assembled PCB, except for switches and the spring header for the optional display
- Opinionated layout, featuring 34-keys using an aggressive column stagger and comfortable angle between the two “halves”
- Supports optional central display used to show connection status, battery charge information, and active layer state
- Kailh Choc v1 switch support (NOT MX or Choc V2 compatible) with Choc spacing (17mm x 18mm) for Choc spaced keycaps. Kailh clear “scoops” and Work Louder keycaps are not compatible with the tighter spacing.
- Available in black or purple
- Runs ZMK Firmware (NOT compatible with QMK)
Want to give Zaphod a try before buying? Download the US Letter or A4 layout tester, print it, and give the layout a try on your desk!
Battery Cutout Notice
The production Zaphod PCBs have been altered from the current photos, to include a rectangular cutout space to allow for a thicker battery to be placed, resting on the case below and still covered by the display over top of it. Doing so allows for double the battery life, but makes running Zaphod as a bare PCB without a case require something to keep the battery in place.
PCB Kit Contents
- Zaphod PCB
- 6 bumpons
Additional Kits (Available Separately)
The following additional kits can be purchased along with the bare PCB to get a complete keyboard.
The optional Zaphod display kit will include everything needed to get the display working with Zaphod, includingb the display, standoffs, and a 5-pin spring loaded header (pogo pins) that allows the display to be added and removed without any soldering. This elegant solution allows for easy access to the battery compartment below.
The Zaphod GB includes two options for cases: an acrylic plate case, and a 3D printed shelf case. For EU buyers, both cases will be produced in-house by 42. Keebs.
Users looking to purchase quality batteries directly with the Zaphod can purchase the Zaphod battery kit which includes a high quality, newly manufactured 300mAh 702025 lipo battery with a JST PH connector.
Participants looking to receive a fully assembled and ready to use keyboard may add the optional Zaphod Build Service, provided by 42. Keebs. We will then contact you to arrange the shipment of your choice of switches to us.
Group Buy Details
The Zaphod R1 group buy will be open for one month, and will begin production once closed. A certain quantity of extras will be produced, and be available for sale once the GB purchases are delivered and customers are satisfied with their purchase.
- Open Date: 18 August 2021
- Close Date: 16 September 2021 23:59 CEST
- Delivery Estimate: 4-8 months (January 2022 – May 2022)
- US Vendor: Low Pro Galaxy
- EU Proxy: 42. Keebs
Group Buy Notice
This item is part of a Group Buy. It is not in stock and will only start manufacturing after the GB closes on 19 September.
We can only accept GB order cancelations until the GB closes and manufacturing starts on 17 September 2021.
Every effort will be made to ship group buy purchases on the schedule above; however, keyboard manufacturing, especially during the current chip shortages, still has the potential to face schedule setbacks. Regular updates will be posted to the LPK Discord and the 42. Keebs Discord regarding the progress on the project.
- Onboard nRF52840 wireless SoC (64 MHz Arm Cortex-M4 with FPU, 1 MB Flash, 256 kB RAM)
- Kailh Choc V1 switches (NOT MX switch compatible) using “choc spacing” (17×18 mm).
- Ultra low power Sharp Memory Display (168×144 resolution)
- Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) Battery (100mA charge rate) with space for a 300mAh 702025 battery. JST PH connector or bare wire batteries may be used.
There are no reviews yet.