Vell, Zaphod’s just zis guy, you know?
The Zaphod PCB is the brains (plural) of the Zaphod keyboard.
- Onboard wireless controller, supporting USB and wireless (BLE 5) connectivity
- Fully assembled PCB, except for switches and the spring header for the optional display
- Opinionated layout, featuring 34-keys using an aggressive column stagger and comfortable angle between the two “halves”
- Supports optional central display used to show connection status, battery charge information, and active layer state
- Kailh Choc v1 switch support (NOT MX or Choc V2 compatible) with Choc spacing (17mm x 18mm) for Choc spaced keycaps. Kailh clear “scoops” and Work Louder keycaps are not compatible with the tighter spacing.
- Available in black or purple
- Runs ZMK Firmware (NOT compatible with QMK)
Battery Cutout Notice
The production Zaphod PCBs have been altered from the current photos, to include a rectangular cutout space to allow for a thicker battery to be placed, resting on the case below and still covered by the display over top of it. Doing so allows for double the battery life, but makes running Zaphod as a bare PCB without a case require something to keep the battery in place.
PCB Kit Contents
- Zaphod PCB
- 6 bumpons
Additional Kits (Available Separately)
The following additional kits can be purchased along with the bare PCB to get a complete keyboard.
The optional Zaphod display kit will include everything needed to get the display working with Zaphod, includingb the display, standoffs, and a 5-pin spring loaded header (pogo pins) that allows the display to be added and removed without any soldering. This elegant solution allows for easy access to the battery compartment below.
Users looking to purchase quality batteries directly with the Zaphod can purchase the Zaphod battery kit which includes a high quality, newly manufactured 300mAh 702025 lipo battery with a JST PH connector.
Participants looking to receive a fully assembled and ready to use keyboard may add the optional Zaphod Build Service, provided by 42. Keebs. We will then contact you to arrange the shipment of your choice of switches to us.
- Onboard nRF52840 wireless SoC (64 MHz Arm Cortex-M4 with FPU, 1 MB Flash, 256 kB RAM)
- Kailh Choc V1 switches (NOT MX switch compatible) using “choc spacing” (17×18 mm).
- Ultra low power Sharp Memory Display (168×144 resolution)
- Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) Battery (100mA charge rate) with space for a 300mAh 702025 battery. JST PH connector or bare wire batteries may be used.